Still believing in 3!

The brick walls are there not to keep us out, only to make us realize how much we want something.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Miracle

2 days ago our son turned 4 weeks old. Boy did that go fast. Each day we relish in this miracle, as we watch him change, learn, and interact with us.

For the most part he drinks a 4 oz bottle every 2-3 hours, plays for awhile, and sleeps. He definately knows when it is night time, the feedings are less, and he goes right back to sleep without a peep...okay well sometimes there is a peep.

The baby has been sleeping in a bassinet next to our bed, and when he wakes at night to feed, I take him in his room so that I don't wake Jess up.

On Monday morning at his 4am feeding I laid him down for the first time in his newly built crib for 1 minute so I could wet a wash cloth. When I returned in less than a minute he was sound asleep. No sheet, no bedding, just our beautiful son in his crib...sleeping! Sounds to me like he likes his crib. I woke this morning to find him talking to himself, just checking out the scenery. I was so amused that I just stood there listening, trying to figure out what he was saying. To the best of my deciphering skills I would say he he was trying to tell me how happy he is.

The three of us are now a family. Family has always been extremely important to me. The unit in which one grows and learns. I grew up in a wonderful family with 3 sisters of whom one is my twin, and two extraordinary people who I call my parents. My parents instilled in us to always be our best. To recognize and embrace the differences we all have. They exposed us to different cultures, different types of people, and more importantly they taught us that each of us could make a difference.

It was never an unusual thought for me to adopt a child. I never questioned what my love for an adopted child would be like. In my heart I always knew my child whether he came from my tummy or not would be mine and that I would love him unconditionally and protect him always.

We have already started to talk to our son about his adoption. There are many different philosophy's on how and when to approach the subject. For Jess and I it feels natural to simply talk about it. Our feelings are that if we give him the pieces of the puzzle to put together he will be less likely to imagine and create ideas about his adoption. We intend to give him as much information as he needs.

I want my child to grow up feeling proud of his adopted status. I want him to positively identify himself as our child. To teach others whose shallow thinking may inhibit them from extending themselves wholeheartedly. I want my son to move gracefully among people's prejudices. I will prepare him for a world where not everyone may see him this way. But one thing is foresure he will always be our child!

Our son has already taught us tremendous lessons about believing, about love, hope and about dreaming. Lessons that one day we will teach him.

It's great to be Mommy and Daddy!

5 comments:

  1. You personify the beauty of parenthood in every way. This was a path that you were always destined to walk on and now your dreams have been realized in an immeasurable way. This beautiful little creature is yours to love and learn from each and every day. Make him proud as I know you will....

    Much love,

    O, A & KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, adoption runs in my family…but it doesn’t change the commitment of love and devotion that we have for one another. And as someone who will never have children of my own, I can attest that the Aunt or Honorary Aunt status to many is also not taken lightly. There are so many ways to be a parent or a mentor to a child. Not all of us are lucky enough to birth our own, but it doesn’t take away, as you have so eloquently put, the unconditional love you have for this tiny person.
    I still don’t know why you didn’t want to adopt a 57 year old! I can lie in my bed, talk to myself and be perfectly content too! If you find me sleeping in that crib one day…don’t be surprised!

    Love,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never see that beautiful baby as anything but your child from the get go.. and of course always my nephew that I love and adore so much.

    The Best Aunt Ever
    Alli B

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have simply brought tears of joy to my eyes Nicole...enjoy each other, live, love and laugh mi amigos!! I cannot wait to meet your little boy!
    Love Karyn y Allan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother adopted the child of the woman he married and then they adopted a child. AJ is 41 and Gabe is 35. They are my nephews...that's all there is to it. My best friend Judy and John adopted Evan 20 years ago and Matthew 15 years ago. They are their sons. Each of these 4 beautiful human beings have always known that they are adopted. It's just a part of their life story, nothing more, nothing less.

    Being a parent is loving, nurturing and supporting your child....We couldn't be more excited to meet and hold Jaiden. He is our nephew and cousin.
    It is obvious that he was meant to be your son..whether he came from your loins or from Minneapolis.

    Teaching Jaiden that there are people who just don't 'get it' will be part of his life story.
    But the love of his Mommy and Daddy and those relatives and friends who adore him already will instill in him the values that we all want our children to have.

    Happy 1 month birthday, dear nephew.
    We love you.
    Aunt Micki and Uncle Larry

    ReplyDelete